If you are planning to attend college in the fall and you haven’t done so already, you will want to complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application by March 2, 2014. How can you meet such an immediate deadline? We’re here for you!
What do you need to fill out the FAFSA?
- Your Social Security number
- Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
- Your driver’s license number if you have one
- A Federal Student Aid PIN to sign electronically. (If you do not already have one, visit www.pin.ed.gov to obtain one.)
- Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen
- Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:
- IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
- Foreign tax return and/or
- Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
- Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans non-education benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student
- Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student
If the idea of having to complete your (or your parents’) taxes is holding you up, you can submit the FAFSA without having filed your 2013 taxes. You can estimate on the application, and make changes and corrections after you submit.
Completing the FAFSA is step one in your journey to financial aid, which you should complete each year that you plan to attend college. You may also want to review the aid that you are likely to receive with the FAFSA4caster, and then compare this with your college’s Net Price Calculator. But first, start with the free money—fill out that FAFSA!
Latest posts by Dana Fulton (see all)
- Important things to do this summer before college - July 14, 2016
- Your 5 Step Guide to Paying for College - July 12, 2016
- Get College Ready Podcast: What changed about the FAFSA? - June 21, 2016