Chances are, your first month at college has been full of new experiences. Some of them may have been confusing and challenging, but most of them were probably exciting. And now that you’re more settled, it’s time to evaluate how things have gone and prepare for what’s next. Here are a few questions to ask now that you’ve survived your first month away:
- Do I feel comfortable with my schedule? College life is busy, and keeping up with assignments, social life, and sleep can be a challenge. If you’re having trouble, you may want to revisit your schedule and make sure you’re making the most of your time.
- Which classes are challenging me the most? By now, you should have a sense of what each class will require of you this semester. Make a note of which ones you’ll need to put more energy into, whether that means spending an extra hour studying or joining forces with your classmates to work on a project.
- Am I enjoying the on-campus clubs or groups I’ve joined? You may have discovered your new favorite hobby by signing up for an intramural sports team, auditioning for a play, or volunteering for student council. But if you haven’t joined any, jump in – clubs and groups can help you meet people who are interested in similar things and explore some of your passions.
- Have I met my professors yet? Chatting with your teachers isn’t as easy as it used to be in high school, but most college professors have office hours – and they can be a valuable resource as you start to think about what majors or professions you’d like to pursue.
- Have I explored the surrounding area? Take a hint from upperclassmen about which eateries, concert venues, or other attractions you should check out while you’re in town. Make a list, grab a few friends, and have a fun weekend.
- Do I need help with anything? Moving away from home, jumping into difficult classes and getting used to your new independence can be challenging. Don’t hesitate to find an on-campus counselor, a tutor, or a mentor if you’re feeling overwhelmed.
Latest posts by Dana Fulton (see all)
- Important things to do this summer before college - July 14, 2016
- Your 5 Step Guide to Paying for College - July 12, 2016
- Get College Ready Podcast: What changed about the FAFSA? - June 21, 2016