Summer is a time to recharge and explore. It provides a break to escape the strict school schedule and do things on your own time at your own pace. Maybe you’re working a job over the summer, too, but even a long weekend getaway will do wonders to help you recharge. To help you plan wisely, I’ve created a list of my top 5 summer travel tips:
5. Find out what you can afford. Before you plan your summer adventure, figure out how much you can afford. Try to anticipate unexpected costs. You don’t want to budget enough money to get you to your dream destination, but not enough to enjoy it while you’re there.
4. Explore all your options. Consider staying local, or take a road trip (see tip #1) and explore other states while expanding your “number of states I’ve visited” list. Or maybe you want to go far away and explore a new country and culture; backpacking and youth hostels are viable alternatives. Try a simple online search for “cheap summer vacations,” it will yield lots of great options.
3. Shop around, don’t settle for full price. Look for the best deals by utilizing online travel resources that allow you to shop and compare from airfare, to hotels, to rental cars and more. Visit the local visitor center; they have great resources including helpful maps (with insider tips and information) and discount coupons. Don’t forget to mention you’re a student wherever you go and bring your student ID, since many places offer discount rates just for students.
2. Plan it. To make sure your trip fits your style, be sure to figure out what kind of traveler you (and your friends or family member) are, and make some allowances for different preferences. Need help figuring out what kind of adventurer you are? Visit our Facebook page to take the Take the Journey quiz. Discover what kind of traveler you are and how to allocate your money for your travels.
1. Enter the “Take the Journey” sweepstakes. You could enter for a chance to win the ultimate road trip for two including an all-new 2012 Ford Fiesta and $6,300 spending money. Plus, we’ll give away several other prizes, 96 in all, throughout the campaign through our monthly sweepstakes drawings! Just visit wellsfargo.com/backstage by 9/30/12 and complete the online entry form. See Sweepstakes Rules for complete eligibility and prize award details. No purchase is required.
Bon voyage, safe travels! Whatever you do, and wherever you go, have fun!